The second largest City of Rajasthan, Jodhpur is also the second most populated city of Rajasthan after Jaipur. The city was founded in 1459 by the Rathore Rajput Ruler, Rao Jodha Singh of Marwar. The city was founded as Marwar’s new capital after the fall of the former capital of Mandore. Jodhpur is also called the Sun City as it enjoys a bright sunny weather all year round. Strategically, it is considered to be the most important city of western Rajasthan as it lies only at a distance of 250 kilometers from the Indo-Pakistan border.
Jodhpur is famous for the distinctive colour of its buildings, a reminder of the Brahmins, who used to paint their houses blue to deter insects and keep the dwellings cool during the summer. Founded in 1459, the old city is encircled by an imposing wall and accessed through eight magnificent gates. A broad, open street connects Jodhpur’s modern centre with the bustling heart of the old city, the Sardar Market, where a hubbub of bustling bazaars is tucked beneath the landmark clock tower.
Spreading out from the clock tower is a buzzing tangle of ancient alleys where traders barter for traditional handicrafts, from the baggy trousers named after the city to embroidered shoes, tie-dyed textiles and lacquerware. Puppet makers and traditional spice markets jostle for space with the excellent antique reproductions for which the city is famous